Post-operative - varicose vein surgery
» Post-operative recovery from laser varicose vein surgery (also known as EVLT - endovenous laser treatment) and varicose vein conventional surgery:
Publish on my Website
Rodriguez Palacios® Medical Center Library - Phlebology
By Dr. Juan Carlos Patt, M.D.
All rights reserved
Post-operative recovery from endovenous laser treatment
Post-operative recovery from laser varicose vein surgery has some advantages over conventional varicose vein surgery. In all cases, it is a less traumatic, less invasive procedure, because the veins are not removed as in conventional surgery. While conventional or ordinary surgical procedures to remove medium- and large-size varicose veins require several incisions along the leg, these are not necessary with laser surgery. Some of the features and instructions for the post-operative stage are listed below:
- Heparinization or thromboembolic prophylaxis. This procedure involves the administration of blood anticoagulants as preventive therapy to avoid thromboembolic events (pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis).
- Early ambulation is recommended.
- Post-operative recovery is less painful than that of conventional varicose vein surgery, and the results are more aesthetic.
- Patients are discharged from the hospital within 2 to 3 hours after surgery. Patients leave the hospital being able to walk on their own.
- Prompt return to work (between 24 and 48 hours).
- 1st post-operative check-up and healing session is prescribed 48 hours after the procedure.
- The use of graduated compression stockings is recommended for one month.
- Doppler ultrasound check-ups are prescribed 48 hours and 8 days after the surgery, and in months 1, 3 and 6 of the post-operative stage. Subsequently, check-ups are advised once a year. Check-ups are performed using doppler ultrasound techniques to assess and verify vein closure and determine the treatment’s success, and to rule out the need of further treatment on varicose veins and branches through varicose vein microsurgery or micro injections.
Post-operative recovery from varicose vein conventional surgery:
Post-operative recovery from conventional surgery performed on medium- and large-size varicose veins presents several drawbacks with respect to post-operative recovery from laser varicose vein surgery. After the surgical procedure is concluded, the patient must remain hospitalized between 24 and 72 hours, depending on each particular case. Pain and discomfort during the post-operative stage are higher. The ability to wander is recovered later. Bed rest is recommended for 10 days after hospital discharge. Patients may resume work on average 2 weeks after the surgery.
From USA & Canada, Tool Free: 1-888-339-3358
- Desde España, Llame Gratis: 900-97639
- From UK, Tool Free: 0-100-047-033